So you want to do the MS150 or join the team, but you don't know where to start. Maybe you have been riding casually or haven't been on a bicycle since that first time you learned to ride. This guide is for those who are new to the team, cycling, or the MS150.
Make sure you are familiar with safety on the bike and on the road. Take your bicycle to one of the local bicycle shops to get inspected. The MS150 has a map of recommended bicycle shops here. After you are sure that your bicycle is safe, make sure that you are familiar with road safety. The League of American Bicyclists, in cooperation with the National MS Society, has created a course specifically for riding in groups called "Group Riding Skills". Visit the Safety page for more information
All riders are required to complete a hands-on Group Riding Skills Training Course. If you plan to ride in the MS150, and will not be a Ride Marshal representing our team you must pay our membership fee.
What to pack
With your overnight bag:
- Luggage tag with your rider number (Provided with your MS150 Packet
- Sleeping Bag (camping or team tent)
- Pillow (camping or team tent)
- Overnight Clothes
- 2nd Jersey, Shorts, Socks
- Optional: Recovery drink mix
- Optional: Ear plugs
- Optional: Eye covers
- Optional: Small Flashlight
With you on your bike:
- 2 water bottles
- Sun Glasses
- Cell Phone (off)
- MS150 Rider Bib
- Portable Bicycle Pump And/Or CO2 Pump
- Spare Tube
- Tire Boots
- Small Multi-Tool
- Additional Snacks (Examples: Gu, HammerGel, Pickles...)
- Optional: Camel Pack or other large water storage device
- Optional: Electrolyte Mix of your preference if the chosen mix by the MS Society is not your preferred or practiced mix.
You have multiple options for starting the MS150.
Start with the ExxonMobil Cycling Team at Tully Stadium, 1050 N Dairy Ashford, Houston. From this starting point you will be riding 100 miles the first day to La Grange. 2 additional options are provided by the MS150, and are listed below.
- Katy - Rhodes Stadium: 83 miles day 1, 6:45 am start
- Waller - 76 miles day 1, 8-10 am rolling start
If you choose not to start with the ExxonMobil Cycling Team you will need to give your equipment to the National MS Society luggage trucks located at each of the start locations. Once you arrive at the fairgrounds you will need to go to the MS Society Pickup Location.
Team Motel Rooms are allocated based on the order in which you register with the team. Rooms cost an additional fee and are not guaranteed. If you require a room for medical reasons we urge you to book a hotel/motel as soon as possible. Medical devices do not have guaranteed power in the team tent.
You will have multiple options for getting from the Fairgrounds to the finish line in Austin.
- Lunch Express - straight to lunch (shortest and easiest)
- Park Bypass - Indirect route to lunch. Use this route if you want some more scenery.
- Bechtel Challenge Route - (Longest, hardest, and most technically challenging) NOT FOR NEW RIDERS